Saturday, January 3, 2009

Things that go Bump in the Washing Machine

Well, I finally did it. I started a blog. I witnessed no revelation that inspired me nor do I need to feel a sense of empowerment. The fact is, I read several blogs about money and I just feel like one more is needed. One for people that don't have tons of knowledge about money but would sure like to have a little more of it (knowledge and money that is) at the end of the month.

So, that's what I hope I can help you do. I will attempt to provide some information periodically that will help you accomplish the goal of having a little extra money without having to carry out some complicated mission. Things that I do, or you can do that anyone can do without needing lots of money to do it. Also, at times I will just relate interesting stories about money that are nice to know or just fun to know, like the story below.

It happened a few years back when my neighbor knocked on my door hoping for some help. It seems he had a problem with his washing machine and knew he could count on me due to my vast knowledge of appliance repair (yea, right). You can now see how this relates to having extra money. Don't pay a repair man when you can do it yourself with a trusty neighbor's help.

Actually, he had fixed his problem but was faced with a dilemma all great men are faced with following a repair. What to do with the parts that are left over. Well, he was fortunate, he only had one part left over and was hoping I could help him discover where it went. It was about 6 inches long, was a flattened piece of wire and was in the shape of an arch. Nothing about this thing looked familiar.

We went so far as tearing the machine back down to see where it could be missing and had been at it for about two hours without any luck when his wife returned home and asked what was up. Being a little frustrated and short on patience, my friend explained in man terms that, and I quote, "we are trying to figure out where this d????? piece of wire goes in this d????? washing machine." She looked at the wire and started laughing. "What", asked her husband.

"That's not a part of the washing machine, that's the under wire out of my bra."

Money saved, time lost, and another successful d-i-y repair.

No comments:

Post a Comment